Smart off roaders have known for years that the most secure way to use your recovery winch is replace the hook with a common screw pin shackle. Unless you are competing, the added seconds required to use a shackle versus a hook during a vehicle recovery is not worth the safety risk associated with standard winch hooks.
Anytime a hook is used, there is a chance that whatever you put into the hook opening can escape. This is especially important in vehicle recovery where the winch cable is cycling in a loaded and unloaded condition regularly as the towing vehicle or towed vehicle lurches forward. In contrary, the standard screw pin shackle is a completely contained link where strap ends have no way of escaping even during tight/loose cycles.
Screw Pin Shackle Benefits:
- Safer – secure link – no chance of strap ends escaping
- Less stress on recovery strap fibers
- Larger opening accepts both ends of a recovery strap
- No sharp edges to cut recovery straps
- Affordable pricing for a superior piece of hardware